Thursday, October 28, 2010

Obama on Gay Marriage

Another Obama Video


Obama on Gay Marriage (under 2 min) This is the video that I will mostly be commenting on.
Sorry, embedding this video has been disabled.

I understand the concern with separate but equal, but a large part of choosing a church is chooseing a church that you are comfortable with. I don’t want to be in a church that doesn’t support interracial marriage and I would not want to be married in a church that doesn’t believe in interracial marriage. I would want to get married in a church that I am a member of and have relationships with the other members.

Civil Unions and the rights that go along with a government based commitment or union should be upheld in a same sex marriage a sin a traditional marriage. However, churches should not be forced by the government to marry a couple. Some churches have rules that only members can get married in the church and others have rules about only a certain pastor can marry a couple in a church.

It seems strange to me that someone would want to get married in a church that doesn’t support you marriage or by a pastor who doesn’t believe in your marrage. That is not anyone’s dream wedding.

I like Obama understand that in Wyoming my husband and I could not have gotten married in Wyoming thirty years ago because we are different races. It makes me sad to know that if he were in the hospital I would not be allowed in, it also makes me sad that we would have experienced issues with insurance.

I am not sad about the people who don’t think that we should be married as an interracial couple. We still could have had a ceremony that represented our relationship. I would have wanted my wedding to be in a church surrounded by people that supported us as a couple and individuals.  There are several churches within the LGBT community. These churches would allow a gay wedding. The wedding is the celebration. It does not need to validated by anyone. The paperwork aspect is the part that is recognized by the government and that is the side that the government should focus on

It could also cause many problems if the government started controlling the churches and telling the churches what to believe. There is a reason for the separation of church and state. It is dangerous when a government tries to control most aspects of everyday life.

I guess, I think we need to pick our battles and not expect the government to fight them all for us.

Another Obama Speech

No comments:

Post a Comment