Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Marcus Garvey


The official Marcus Garvey website
The Influence of Marcus Garvey Video series
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

I had little knowledge about Marcus Garvey and the details of his life. Some of the things that I did know about him prior to these videos include the “Back to Afrika” movement and that he had involvement in Rastafari.

Wikipedia has some great information about the man.

Garvey played a large role in the African American religious scene in the 1920s, some even claimed that he was the reincarnation of John the Baptist and was preparing the way for Haile Selassie 1 of Ethiopia.  I will post about Rastafari in the future (though probably not for Black History Month).

I think that I will also post on the significance of these flags at some point.  I used to know what the colors specifically represent (both the slang and the traditional symbolism, but I do not remember).

No comments:

Post a Comment