Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Assata Shakur: A Political Prisoner

Assata Shakur - Part 1

The music/singing in these videos is absolutely gorgeous.  It helps me to understand the origins of the slave spirituals.  The people already had this natural musical ability and passion.  It later translated to their oppression rather than streaming from their joy.
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Part 3 talks about Cuba and the Gods.  In my African Spirits in The New World class we are learning about the spirituality of African People.  I am excited to learn more specifically about the people of the African Diaspora that landed in Cuba.  This video combined with what I am learning about traditional African religion make me want to visit Cuba. 

I would like to be in a place that combines two of the most fascinating cultures I have studies.  I always knew that there was a large Spanish speaking population, but didn't know until recently that it was largely African as well.

When we get into Santeria I will definitely post more about the religion in the region.

No comments:

Post a Comment