Tuesday, July 30, 2024

No Prep Pre-Reading Active Toddler Activity


This activity has been a favorite and is little to no prep. It can be done with whatever you have around the house 

The Usborne book series "That's not my..." Is perfect for this activity but any book with repetition will work well 

For this book series I took note cards and sticky notes to create a flash card that could have matched letters stuck to it

That's it!


To make it active for my wild one I hid #BabyBoyFollum run to the kitchen while I hid the three letters around the room. 

He then had the option of sticking the sounds to the note card himself, pointing to the spot it should go, or tracing the letters himself.

We did this for the repeating words 
"not" and "too." So he can 'read' the pages to me. This works because the pages are very repetitive and based on the same pattern. 

We have done similar with a Pete the Cat book Twinkle Twinkle Little Star where he points out the word 'twinkle' by seeing that it's the same letters. I'm that book we emphasize and find both the 't' sounds and the 'le' sound as they repeat often.

What sounds do you have in you books 
Other books this could work for (I will try to get back to add book details)

Baby Beluga 

Books with songs 
Roll over 
Monkeys on the bed 

No comments:

Post a Comment