Sunday, February 20, 2011

Hair Lesson - What is Good Hair?

I have spent around 5,000 on my hair. I know that people would say that I am prettier with straight hair but I love love love not having relaxed hair anymore. (Some people might prefer the curls, but I think that is mostly because it is different or uniquie.) I can still flat iron it but I want to take care of my hair. Part of taking care of your hair is not relaxing it.

I don’t shampoo my hair…The winters in Laramie are way too cold. It will kill it and break. I grew up with mostly white people who didn’t know what to do with my hair. One time when I had braids in there I actually broke break my braids off because they were so fragile from over washing. Conditioner does have many of the cleansing properties that shampoo has, it just doesn’t have all of the harsh chemicals. I have recently started co-washing.

What is Good Hair – Part one



Part 2

This video makes me want to cry…Relaxing does burn. The first time my scalp was covered in scabs. I couldn’t brush it without bleeding. Like I said I was raised around mostly white people so it wasn’t until middle school that I had my hair relaxed. Three years old is crazy.

I have a friend who has really nappy hair and when she wears it down on our college campus she will get dirty looks from many of the black girls on campus.



Part 3

Madame CJ Walker, the first female millionaire, invented hair relaxer and skin bleach so that black people could pass as white people. Is that still why we relax our hair?



Part 4



Part 5

I want to do a Graphic Design Poster series (or art series) called My Black is Beautiful (or something similar) based on this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment