Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Natural Hair Juorney

In response to my hair videos (I still have a couple more coming) I figured I would post some photos of my hair.  The last time I relaxed my hair was a few weeks before my wedding (May 23, 2009).  Since then I decided that I didn't want to deal with spending the time or the money to get it relaxed, so i didn't.

My hair still takes time but I am taking care of it better and I have so much more freedom.  I can get my hair wet, don't have to worry about the humidity, and I have the option of wearing it curly or flat ironed (I know this does damage the hair).  Here are some photos since I have gone natural.

They are all pretty bad photos of me, but you can see the hair.  I usually do my hair, or take it out, late at night (from 12 - 4am) so they are all late night before bed images.

I have no clue why I was making that face.
I think that this is my favorite curly hair or at least my favorite amount of curl.


Twists.  There is a better picture of them down below. 
I am still learning how to detangle/brush my hair so it took me a long time to get the tangles out without breakage.  
The twists probably took an hour maybe two, with detangling it was over 4 hours.
Here is my twist out.  It was late and I was tired.  It took a while.  I tend to leave protective styles in for a long time.  It was about one or two months, I think, some of the new growth started to dread.  It made for a late night.  But taking my time paid off.  I was shocked at the length that I had...
Deep conditioning, a co-wash, and four hours of flat ironing later.
In the winter (currently, I might change this) I co-wash about once a month and add about a tsp of olive oil before I go to bed every night.  I also use Shea Butter and other conditioners daily.  It seems to be working.  We have COLD, windy and snowy winters here and I do not want to risk shampooing the oils out, I also don't want build up of product.  Finding the happy medium may take a while.
  
In the summer I wash or co-wash my hair a about once/week.  I oil and condition more often.  About 3 tbsps a day if I wear it curly.
I do love how long my hair has grown due to going natural.

Miscellaneous photos




Simple protective style.

No comments:

Post a Comment